Friday, April 2, 2010

Fun Easter Cupcakes


 With Easter only a few days away I thought it would be fun to make some cupcakes that appeal especially to all the little guys. I saw the Easter chick cupcakes online made with boxed cake mix and canned frosting and thought that it wouldn't be that much more time consuming and most definitely better if I made it all from scratch. If you do want to save some time, then go ahead and by all means use a boxed cake mix along with a store bought container of frosting.


I started with an old favorite in our house, Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes. It is an easy, very pleasing recipe for which I usually have all the ingredients on hand. They are light and fluffy and to me these cupcakes go with any kind of frosting such as chocolate, strawberry or cream cheese. This time though I went the simple route, just a good plain old (but nonetheless delicious) vanilla frosting since I wanted the decoration to be the star of this cupcake. I definitely had a lot of fun making these and the kids got very excited when they came home from school and saw all the little chicks lined up on the counter. While I was making them I ran out of yellow cupcake liners, so I figured why not make a few Easter grass cupcakes with little candy eggs as well. I thought they were just as adorable. These cupcakes are simple enough that even kids could help for a great Easter activity.





Maybe you have some kids in your family as well that would get a kick out these, or make them for a fun edible table decoration for your Easter meal or brunch. I'm sure everyone is going to love these little fun cupcakes, I know we did.




Fun Easter Cupcakes 

Ingredients:
1 Recipe of your favorite yellow cupcake or a boxed cake mix following directions on box
1 Recipe of your favorite white frosting or 1 container vanilla frosting
Shredded sweetened coconut (about 2-4 cups)
Yellow liquid food color (for the chick cupcakes)
Green liquid food color (for the Easter grass cupcakes)
Brown miniature candies (for the chick cupcakes)
Orange Gumdrops (for the chick cupcakes)
Jelly Beans or Candy Eggs (for the Easter grass cupcakes)

Directions:
Line muffin cups with paper baking cups.
Bake cupcakes according to directions of your recipe or follow the directions on the boxed cake mix. Cool cupcakes completely on a cooling rack before frosting them with your favorite vanilla frosting.

Place coconut in a resealable food-storage bag. Add about 8 drops yellow liquid food color (or green for the Easter grass cupcakes); seal bag and shake to mix. Top the frosted cupcakes with either yellow or green coconut. 

For the chick cupcakes: add eyes with brown miniature candies. Cut orange gumdrops to resemble beaks; place on cupcakes.


For the Easter grass cupcakes: Arrange Jelly Beans or candy eggs to look like an Easter Nest.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks Grapefruit, I had fun making them and the kids had fun eating them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susi, these are just too cute for words. Makes me wish my kids were little so I'd have a good excuse to make a whole bunch of them. Hope you have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely creativity and pictures amazed me too much. last tme i had a look at plus printers and have the same amazement. Their custom pillow box are very attractive and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, I love cupcakes. Lovely pictures its true that cupcake is the important and significant part of Easter events. All people love this yummy food product. It also mandatory to store the cupcakes in the cupcakes boxes. If you want to search yummy cupcake boxes just go on the website of Custom Cake Boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow easter its amazing i always wait for easter and build some custom boxes for this day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mind blowing! Your wording is unique.Please write an article on Popcorn boxes .Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your post. Your way presenting cupcakes is totally mind blowing. Keep sharing such ideas.
    straight tuck end boxes

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails